Announcements as of 2/12/18
- Indoor Pickle Ball Sundays through Mar 18, 1-3pm in the Barre Town School Gym. Hosted by the Town Rec Board. Wear comfortable clothing and sneakers, and bring a water bottle. Three courts, paddles, and balls available. Pros to beginners welcome.
- Winter on-street parking ban began Nov 1. Per town ordinance, parking on any town street between 11pm and 7am is prohibited from Nov 1 to Apr 1. This ban is in effect regardless of weather. The police will write tickets.
- Have unwanted or unused medications? Bring them to the Barre Town police department’s new medication collection box in their at 149 Websterville Road, rear entrance. Acceptable items are prescriptions, prescription patches, prescription ointments, over the counter medications, vitamins and pet medications. In their original bottles OK, labels OK. No syringes! Drop in anytime Mon-Fri, 8a-4p. To drop off medications at other times, call police dispatch at 479-0509 and ask them to contact the on-duty officer with your request. No cost for this service.
- New Clean Wood Recycling Service: Clean wood can now be dropped off at Casella Waste Systems at the CV Transfer Station on US-2 in East Montpelier. Click here for the flyer. For more information, and to find out where to bring stumps or roots (not accepted at the CV Transfer Station) click here for Central Vermont Solid Waste Management District's webpage on clean wood recycling.
- Do you have home improvement projects you’d like to do but need funds? Barre Town supports housing rehabilitation and energy efficiency via a low interest loan program administered by Downstreet Housing & Community Development. To find out if you qualify and for more information, call Patty Dupuis at Downstreet at 477-1343.
- If you don’t have a house number prominently showing at your driveway, and if you were to need emergency services at your house, emergency personnel might not find you as quickly as they would with a house number on your mailbox post. The Town makes it easy by selling house number signs for just $10. To order yours, contact Tina at 479-9331, or click here to access the form with instructions.
- Volunteer needed: Phoenix House is a national nonprofit that provides individualized drug and alcohol addiction treatment. Its South Barre facility on Route 14 needs a South Barre resident to volunteer on the Phoenix House Community Relations Working Group. The working group meets quarterly for 1.5 hours. The volunteer position has no assigned duties or responsibilities except to represent the concerns of South Barre residents. If you are a South Barre resident interested in serving, send a letter to the Selectboard at the Town Office address, PO Box 116, Websterville VT 05678. For more information, contact the Town Manager’s Office at 479-9331.
- Fire Department Fundraiser: The Barre Town Fire Department Auxiliary is selling I Support Vermont Firefighters t-shirts as a fundraiser. Adult sized shirts cost $20; youth shirts are $15. All shirts are blue. Front left chest has outline of Vermont with 802. Back of shirt states I Support Vermont Firefighters. For more information contact Linda Leu at (802) 249-6400 or send a message through the Barre Town Fire Department Auxiliary Facebook page. The Auxiliary supports Barre Town firefighters at emergency scenes.
- The Barre Town Budget Committee meetings will begin at 6:00 pm, not 6:30 pm. Meetings are held on Tuesday evenings in the Municipal Buidling at 149 Websterville Road. The Committee will meet every Tuesday night through and including March 27. Agendas are posted at Hannaford, Graniteville General Store, Trow Hill Grocery and the town website. The Committee's tour of town departments will be on Tuesday, March 13 starting at 5:30 pm. The public is invited. Details to follow.