Announcements as of 12/4/17
- Winter on-street parking ban began Nov 1. Per town ordinance, parking on a street between 11pm and 7am is prohibited from Nov 1 to Apr 1. This ban is in effect regardless of weather. The police will write tickets.
- Have unwanted or unused medications? Bring them to the Barre Town police department’s new medication collection box in their at 149 Websterville Road, rear entrance. Acceptable items are prescriptions, prescription patches, prescription ointments, over the counter medications, vitamins and pet medications. In their original bottles OK, labels OK. No syringes! Drop in anytime Mon-Fri, 8a-4p. To drop off medications at other times, call police dispatch at 479-0509 and ask them to contact the on-duty officer with your request. No cost for this service.
- Wilson Depot now accepting food scraps for composting. If you're looking for a way to recycle your food scraps, you can bring them to the trash and recycling center on Pitman Rd in the Wilson Industrial Park. This service is provided by Grow Compost. Click here for the list of what is accepted for composting vs. what goes in trash.
- The 2017 Unclaimed Property Listing is now available from the Vermont State Treasurer. Unclaimed property could be money from forgotten bank accounts, uncashed paychecks, unclaimed security deposits, or unused gift certificates; or it could be stocks, mutual funds, or contents of safe deposit boxes. View the 2017 listing online here. Questions? Contact the State Treasurer’s Office at 1-800-642-3191.
- Do you have home improvement projects you’d like to do but need funds? Barre Town supports housing rehabilitation and energy efficiency via a low interest loan program administered by Downstreet Housing & Community Development. To find out if you qualify and for more information, call Patty Dupuis at Downstreet at 477-1343.
- If you don’t have a house number prominently showing at your driveway, and if you were to need emergency services at your house, emergency personnel might not find you as quickly as they would with a house number on your mailbox post. The Town makes it easy by selling house number signs for just $10. To order yours, contact Tina at 479-9331, or click here to access the form with instructions.
- Phoenix House is a national nonprofit that provides individualized drug and alcohol addiction treatment. Its South Barre facility on Route 14 needs a South Barre resident to volunteer on the Phoenix House Community Relations Working Group. The working group meets quarterly for 1.5 hours. The volunteer position has no assigned duties or responsibilities except to represent the concerns of South Barre residents. If you are a South Barre resident interested in serving, send a letter to the Selectboard at the Town Office address, PO Box 116, Websterville VT 05678. For more information, contact the Town Manager’s Office at 479-9331.
- The Barre Town Fire Department Auxiliary is selling I Support Vermont Firefighters t-shirts as a fundraiser. Adult sized shirts cost $20; youth shirts are $15. All shirts are blue. Front left chest has outline of Vermont with 802. Back of shirt states I Support Vermont Firefighters. For more information contact Linda Leu at (802) 249-6400 or send a message through the Barre Town Fire Department Auxiliary Facebook page. The Auxiliary supports Barre Town firefighters at emergency scenes.