Announcements as of 11/30/18
- Winter sand is available free to Barre Town residents outside of the public works fence at 129 Websterville Road. This service is for residential use only. Please follow instructions posted at the sand pile. Plan ahead because, when you need it, most everyone else will, too! Click here for more info.
- Emergency Volunteer Coordinator needed who would organize volunteers for the Town during significant local emergencies, like a prolonged electrical outage during the winter or a tropical storm. Possible responsibilities include maintaining a list of volunteers, and contacting and coordinating them during an emergency. Specifics will be coordinated with town staff. For more details, see p5 of the November newsletter or call the town manager at 479-9331.
- Have unwanted or unused medications? Bring them to the Barre Town police department’s medication collection box at 149 Websterville Road rear entrance. Acceptable items are prescriptions, prescription patches, prescription ointments, over the counter medications, vitamins and pet medications. Medication in their original bottles is okay, labels OK. No syringes! Drop in anytime Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm. To drop off medications at other times, call police dispatch at 479-0509 and ask them to contact the on-duty officer with your request. No cost for this service.
- Do you have home improvement projects you’d like to do but need funds? Barre Town supports housing rehabilitation and energy efficiency via a low interest loan program administered by Downstreet Housing & Community Development. To find out if you qualify and for more information, call Patty Dupuis at Downstreet at 477-1343.
- If you don’t have a house number prominently showing at your driveway, and if you were to need emergency services at your house, emergency personnel might not find you as quickly as they would with a house number on your mailbox post. The Town makes it easy by selling house number signs for just $10. To order yours, contact Tina at 479-9331, or click here to access the form with instructions.
- Volunteer needed: Phoenix House is a national nonprofit that provides individualized drug and alcohol addiction treatment. Its South Barre facility on Route 14 needs a South Barre resident to volunteer on the Phoenix House Community Relations Working Group. The working group meets quarterly for 1.5 hours. The volunteer position has no assigned duties or responsibilities except to represent the concerns of South Barre residents. If you are a South Barre resident interested in serving, send a letter to the Selectboard at the Town Office address: PO Box 116, Websterville VT 05678. For more information, contact the Town Manager’s Office at 479-9331.
- Fire Department Fundraiser: The Barre Town Fire Department Auxiliary is selling I Support Vermont Firefighters t-shirts as a fundraiser. Adult sized shirts cost $20; youth shirts are $15. All shirts are blue. Front left chest has outline of Vermont with 802. Back of shirt states I Support Vermont Firefighters. For more information send a message through the Barre Town Fire Department Auxiliary Facebook page. The Auxiliary supports Barre Town firefighters at emergency scenes.
- Cancelation of Selectboard Meetings and Special Meeting Notice: Due to the holidays the Barre Town Selectboard meetings regularly scheduled for December 25 and January 1 are canceled. The Selectboard will hold a special meeting on Wednesday, January 2, 2019, at the Municipal Building starting at 6:00 pm. From 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm the Selectboard will consider usual board business. At 7:00 pm the board will be joined by the Barre City Council. Together they will hear the budget related presentations by the Aldrich Library, Barre Partnership and Barre Area Development. The public is welcome to attend.