Solid Waste Disposal

Wilson Recyclables
109 Pitman Road, Wilson Industrial Park,
Lower Websterville, VT 05678
  • BTD16Website

Solid Waste

Solid Waste Disposal

Above: Volunteers unload a Barre Town resident's bulk trash during the bi-annual Bulk Trash Collection.

*Upcoming Events*

  • Backyard Composting Workshop on Wed April 5, 6pm-8pm, Barre Town Municipal Building (Selectboard Room) at 149 Websterville Rd.  Learn the right way to compost, get your concerns addresed, watch a demo of how to easily build an affordable bin, and go home with a counter-top food scrap collection paiil, booklet, and handout of what goes in and stays out of the compost bin - all for free! In addition, ready-made backyard composting bins will be available for purchase at-cost during the workshop. If you think you will purchase, contact Cassandra Hemmenway at CVSWMD: 802-229-9383 x102, or Registration for the workshop is not required. Organized by the Central Vermont Solid Waste Management District and Barre Town, in response to requests for this topic on the Town's survey on Recycling Services in Nov 2016 (view the Barre Town Recycling Services Survey results by clicking here).
  • Household Hazardous Waste Collection on Sat Apr 29, Barre Town Garage, 129 Websterville Rd. Click here for the flyer. Organized by the Central Vermont Solid Waste Management District.
  • Green Up Day, Sat May 6Sign up for the area you’d like to green up by contacting the Town Manager Office at 479-9331, or visit us at 149 Websterville Road. We’ll also provide you with Green Up bags and gloves, and tickets to a free thank you barbeque lunch for volunteers.
  • Spring Bulk Trash Collection, Sat May 13, 8am-2pm, Barre Town Public Works Yard, 129 Websterville Rd. Click here for the flyer and more information.

Overview of Solid Waste Services in Barre Town

The Town of Barre does not provide and does not contract for collection of household waste (municipal solid waste).  Residents and businesses of Barre Town must make their own arrangements for trash removal and recycling. Options consist of curbside collection and dropping off trash and recyclables at a licensed drop collection point. Numerous haulers set up collection points in the area on Saturdays. The most notable collection point is located at 109 Pitman Road, Wilson Industrial Park, otherwise known as the Wilson Depot. Recyclables, tires, scrap metal, construction demo, and used motor oil are accepted at this location.

Vermont law designates solid waste management districts which are municipal corporations capable of enacting ordinances and levying taxes. Towns and cities must belong to a solid waste management district or adopt a Solid Waste Plan that receives State approval. Barre Town is a member of the Central Vermont Waste Management District (CVSWMD). For more information contact CVSWMD (802) 229-9383 or visit their website at

Barre Town provides four solid waste services. They are our Lawn Waste Site, Bulk Trash collection, Wilson Depot, and Christmas Tree collection.  During the first two weeks of January, the Department of Public Works (DPW) collects Christmas trees for chipping mulch. Trees are picked up north of Route 302 during the first week. Trees in the south area are removed during the second week. Please see the November newsletter for more details. 

How to dispose of:

Take To:

Household trash, recycling   

Wilson Depot or other licensed collectors  

Electronics - large


Electronics – small  



Wilson Depot, CVSWMD ARCC

Large Metal/appliances  

Wilson Depot

Hazardous Materials  

CVSWMD collection

Lawn Waste  

Holden Road site