Proper disposal of leaves, grass clippings, tree branches, and hedge clippings is becoming more complicated as people live closer together. As of July 1, 2016, these materials are also banned from the landfill. Barre Town has a lawn waste drop-off/composting site on Holden Road located in the Lower Graniteville as a free service to Barre Town residents. Residents may haul their lawn waste to the site and deposit the material on the proper pile. Composted leaves and wood mulch are available for the taking.
In 2003 the Selectboard adopted an ordinance regulating the use of the lawn waste and composting site. Vehicle owners, or the operator if known, could be fined for using the site contrary to these simple regulations:
- The site is to be used only when open; the DPW staffs the site on Saturday mornings May through October. Volunteers monitor the site during the week. Volunteer hours change from season to season.
- Leaves, brush, grass and other vegetative matter must be deposited in designated areas
- Littering and illegal dumping are prohibited
- The site is for Barre Town residents' non-commercial use only
- Maximum brush size is 5" in diameter; larger tree branches and trunks may be left in the designated firewood area
Metal, dog manure, animal carcasses, household garbage, stumps, kitty litter, tires, large trash items, bags, boxes, rope, string, plastic, dirt, stones, bricks, blocks, concrete and asphalt.
Hours of Operation for 2016
|Every Saturday (April 16-November 12)||8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.|
|Wednesdays (April 27-November 2)||3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.|
|Thursdays (April 28-November 3)||9:00 a.m. - 12:00 pm|
The Lawn Waste Site driveway is the dirt crescent off of Holden Road in this image: