Vermont does not have county government, but there are a few regional bodies that provide guidance or governance on specific issues. The Town has representation to these bodies:
Central Vermont Regional Planning Commission (CVRPC)
- Function: To provide regional planning services, including supporting various types of planning efforts of its member towns such as for transportation, hazard mitigation, and watersheds.
- Website: http://centralvtplanning.org
- Barre Town Representative to the CVRPC Board of Commissioners: Byron Atwood (also Board Chair)
Central Vermont Solid Waste Management District (CVSWMD)
- Function: To provide regional solid waste management services, including assisting member towns and our residents to dispose of waste appropriately and reduce waste.
- Website: http://www.cvswmd.org
- Barre Town Representative to the CVSWMD Board of Supervisors: Fred Thumm (also Board Chair)