The Town of Barre
is home to four small unincorporated villages; including East Barre, Websterville, Graniteville, and South Barre. Each village has a post office, stores, a playground and churches. Barre Town is known for its large granite quarries, panoramic mountain views, beautiful natural scenery, outstanding school, great residential neighborhoods, modern recreation facilities and attractive industrial park. As an integral part of the Barre-Montpelier urban area, our families enjoy all the conveniences of an urban area while residing in some of the state's most beautiful, rural environments. Come visit our community anytime. There are many ways to enjoy our Town Forest, bike paths, and recreation facilities all year-round. With our rich history of entrepreneurship, some of the world’s hardest working and most creative people, and an unparalleled quality of life, there is no better place than Barre Town to live, work, raise a family, grow a business, or recreate!
- Last Household Hazardous Waste Collection of 2021 on Sat Sep 25, 9a-1p at the Vermont Department of Labor, 5 Green Mountain Drive, hosted by the Central Vermont Solid Waste Management District. Fees are $20 per car for residents of Barre Town (and any other CVSWMD member town). This event is for any common household material that has a hazard symbol on the container, like cleaners, paint thinners, adhesives, or pesticides. You can also bring broken fluorescent bulbs or cans of paint without any legible label. More info is on CVSWMD's website here.
- Barre Town Rec Board Fall Festival 2021 canceled. Originally scheduled for Sat Sep 25.
- Property tax first installment due Thu Sep 30: Property tax bills were mailed Aug 27, so property owners should be receiving their property tax bills in their mailboxes in the next week or two. The first installment will be due Thu Sep 30. The next three payments will be due on the usual dates: Nov 15, Feb 15, and May 15.
- 2019-2020 Barre Town Report now available online here. Hard copies are available for free at stores around town: Quarry Hill Quick Stop, Gunner Brook Store & Deli, Graniteville General Store, Trow Hill Grocery, and Hannaford Supermarket.
- Vault Time/Title Searches: A friendly reminder that we are strongly encouraging appointments for vault time and title searches. Please call the Town Clerk's office at 479-9391, prior to your visit. Thank you for working with us to keep to help keep our community healthy!
- Renters: Need help paying past due utility bills because of COVID-19? The Department of Public Service can help eligible Vermont residential renters. You do not need to be late on your rent to apply. Find out more at https://publicservice.vermont.gov
- Seasonal help needed: The town seeks DPW helpers now through the fall. Click here to see the job posting.
- Air handling and air conditioning system replacement: Bids for this project are due Thu Sep 30, 10:30a. Click here for the bidding instructions and specifications. *Previous instructions limited site visits to before September 18 or after September 27; site visits may now also be scheduled September 18 through 27.*
- Applications for displays of Class B or Class C fireworks are due to the Town Clerk’s office at least 15 days prior to the display date to allow enough time for review and notice to your neighbors. Click here for the fireworks display permit application or call the Town Clerk’s office for a copy or your questions at 479-9391.
- Those who display Class B or Class C fireworks without a permit may be fined per state statute 20 V.S.A. § 3135.
- Click here for a list of recent and upcoming fireworks displays that have been permitted in Barre Town.