The Town of Barre
is home to four small unincorporated villages; including East Barre, Websterville, Graniteville, and South Barre. Each village has a post office, stores, a playground and churches. Barre Town is known for its large granite quarries, panoramic mountain views, beautiful natural scenery, outstanding school, great residential neighborhoods, modern recreation facilities and attractive industrial park. As an integral part of the Barre-Montpelier urban area, our families enjoy all the conveniences of an urban area while residing in some of the state's most beautiful, rural environments. Come visit our community anytime. There are many ways to enjoy our Town Forest, bike paths, and recreation facilities all year-round. With our rich history of entrepreneurship, some of the world’s hardest working and most creative people, and an unparalleled quality of life, there is no better place than Barre Town to live, work, raise a family, grow a business, or recreate!
- The Grand List has been lodged. All property owners now have a once per year opportunity to grieve the assessed value of their property. Notice of grievance and request for grievance hearing must be submitted in writing - by a letter or by an email - to the Assessor's Office before 4:30 p.m. on July 8. Contact the Assessor's Office at 802-479-2595 for more information.
- The State Primary Election is Tuesday, August 9. The Town Clerk's Office has started mailing early ballots to those voters who requested an early ballot for the entire calendar year. If you did not request an early ballot for the entire year and want an absentee ballot for the August Primary Election, please contact the Town Clerk's Office at 802-479-9391 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Public Works Department continues to prepare for road paving. The DPW will be working in higher traffic roads such Middle Road, Windy Wood Road, and Websterville Road in East Barre. They will also will be work in numerous side streets. Please be on the look-out for orange and black road construction signs. Please slow down in work zones for your own safety and for the flaggers' and construction workers' safety. The plaving contraction has a tentative start date of August 11.
- Summer Help Needed: Applications for full-time or part-time work with the Public Works Department are being accepted. The DPW could really use two people for about three weeks to trim brush and cut tree limbs blocking visibility of road signs. The Town will consider applications for just this work. High school seniors, or other high school students who are at least 18 years old, are invited to apply. Contact the Town Managers Office for an application or for more information about any summer work.
- Please consider volunteering to serve on the Cemetery Commission. For more information contact the Town Manager's Office at (802) 479-9331. Letters of interest by email or postal letters should be summitted to the Manager's Office. Applications will be considered as received.
- Barre Town Summer Tennis Lessons CANCELED: Due to lack of participation, the Barre Town Recreation Board has had to cancel their Summer Tennis Lesson Program for July, 2022.
- Lawn Waste Site is open: Hours are Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursdays 10am - 2pm and Saturdays 8am - 12pm.
- COVID-19 vaccinations: Booster shots and first shots are available. Click here for more information.
- Homeowners: Late on Your Bills Due to the Pandemic? Click here and scroll to the bottom of the page for more information.
- Applications for displays of Class B or Class C fireworks are due to the Town Clerk’s office at least 15 days prior to the display date to allow enough time for review and notice to your neighbors. Click here for the fireworks display permit application or call the Town Clerk’s office for a copy or your questions at 479-9391.
- Those who display Class B or Class C fireworks without a permit may be fined per state statute 20 V.S.A. § 3135.
- Click here for a list of recent and upcoming fireworks displays that have been permitted in Barre Town.