The Town of Barre
is home to four small unincorporated villages; including East Barre, Websterville, Graniteville, and South Barre. Each village has a post office, stores, a playground and churches. Barre Town is known for its large granite quarries, panoramic mountain views, beautiful natural scenery, outstanding school, great residential neighborhoods, modern recreation facilities and attractive industrial park. As an integral part of the Barre-Montpelier urban area, our families enjoy all the conveniences of an urban area while residing in some of the state's most beautiful, rural environments. Come visit our community anytime. There are many ways to enjoy our Town Forest, bike paths, and recreation facilities all year-round. With our rich history of entrepreneurship, some of the world’s hardest working and most creative people, and an unparalleled quality of life, there is no better place than Barre Town to live, work, raise a family, grow a business, or recreate!
- Lawn Waste Site extended October hours: The lawn waste site on Holden Road is usually open Mon 3-6p, Wed 4-6p, Thu 9a-12p and Sat 8a-12p. The rest of October the site will be open extended hours on Saturdays 8a-4p and Sundays 12p-4p (Oct 12 & 13, Oct 19 & 20 and Oct 26 & 27).
- Traffic Safety Advisory Committee Notice: The regularly scheduled meeting for Wednesday, October 16, 2019 will begin at 6:00 pm. The TSAC members will meet at the driveway to #109 Taplin Road because of a request for hidden drive signs. The usual meeting business will begin at 7:00 pm in the Municipal Building at 149 Websterville Road.
- Upper Websterville Water System Flushing: Annual flushing of the Barre Town Upper Websterville water distribution system will be conducted on Wednesday, October 16, 2019. The affected areas will be Brook Street and small parts of Websterville Road. During the day of flushing in these areas water may become cloudy or discolored. If this occurs simply run the tap until the water clears.
- Water System Flushing Notice: Annual flushing of the Barre Town water distribution system will be conducted Sept. 30 - Oct. 11. Affected areas will be: Sterling Hill Development, Cherrywood Development, Conti Circle, Lower Websterville, Wilson Industrial Park and East Barre. The days of flushing in these areas water may become cloudy or discolored. If this occurs simply run the tap until the water clears.
- Town-wide property reappraisal project underway: Town staff will be visiting neighborhoods and properties to collect and verify real estate property information. They will have Town of Barre ID cards. A few weeks before a neighborhood will be visited, property owners should receive this postcard with more details. If you own but don’t reside at your Barre Town property, please notify the tenants or occupants of the visit. For more information about why the town is conducting a reappraisal, see your August Barre Town newsletter here.
- Notice to Bidders: The Town is accepting bids for winter maintenance of 2 miles of sidewalk spread out over 5 areas. Bids for the 3-year contract will be accepted until Oct. 17, 2019. The successful contractor must have equipment to clear snow and spread de-icer, and must have insurance. Contact the Town Manager's Office at 479-9331 or email@example.com for bidding specifications.
- State project at Mill St. and VT-110 underway. Starting Fri Sep 20, Mill St. will be one-way westbound 24 hours a day. Old Route 302 is open to local traffic only. To receive regular project updates, click here to email project outreach coordinator Natalie Boyle with the subject line "Add me to Mill St."
- Two Transportation Safety Advisory Committee members needed. This committee makes recommendations to the Selectboard about all matters related to town highway and parking areas. Common matters heard by TSAC are changes in speed limits, establishing stop or yield intersections, and placing traffic advisory signs. More about TSAC is on this webpage. Questions about this committee may be addressed to the staff contact, Town Engineer Harry Hinrichsen, or its current members. If you are interested in serving on this committee, contact the Town Manager's Office at 802-479-9331 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fireworks permit application deadline: Displays of Class B or Class C fireworks are due to the Town Clerk’s office at least 15 days prior to the display date to allow enough time for review and notice to your neighbors. Click here for the fireworks display permit application or call the Town Clerk’s office for a copy or your qusetions at 479-9391.