The Town of Barre
is home to four small unincorporated villages; including East Barre, Websterville, Graniteville, and South Barre. Each village has a post office, stores, a playground and churches. Barre Town is known for its large granite quarries, panoramic mountain views, beautiful natural scenery, outstanding school, great residential neighborhoods, modern recreation facilities and attractive industrial park. As an integral part of the Barre-Montpelier urban area, our families enjoy all the conveniences of an urban area while residing in some of the state's most beautiful, rural environments. Come visit our community anytime, there are many ways to enjoy our Town Forest, bike paths, and recreation facilities all year round. With our rich history of entrepreneurship, some of the world’s hardest working and most creative people, and an unparalleled quality of life, there is no better place than Barre Town to live, work, raise a family, grow a business, or just visit!
- The General Election is on Tue Nov 8. Are you ready to vote?
The Recreation Board is planning a Fall Festival for Sat Oct 22. The Festival will be held from 3pm to 6:30pm in the Town Recreation Area near the picnic shelter, rain or shine! Dress for the weather; some activities will be under shelter, some not - all will be fun! Click here for the flyer.
Additional fall hours for the lawn waste site Oct 22-23: The lawn waste site on Holden Road is normally open Wednesday afternoon 3-6pm, Thursday mornings 9am-noon and Saturday mornings from 8:00 am to noon. On one more weekend - October 22 & 23 - the site will be open for additional hours, on Saturdays 8am to 4pm and on Sunday noon to 4pm. Click here for more info on how to use the lawn waste site.
The Websterville Fire District has proposed that the Town of Barre take over that water system, which requires voter approval. The staff of both entities have reviewed the costs and benefits of the merger and have concluded that it would result in a net benefit to current customers of both water systems, with a few caveats that have been drafted into the agreement. Click here to see more information on the special Town Meeting and the merger articles on which residents will be asked to vote. Important remaining dates:
- The last day to register to vote in this election is 5pm November 2, 2016. You can register to vote in person at the Clerk's office at 149 Websterville Road, or online through the Vermont Secretary of State website here.
- Early voting ballots are available. You can vote early in the Town Clerk's office up through Monday November 7. If you want to vote by mail, request your ballot soon in order for the blank ballot to reach you, and your completed ballot to reach us, in time! Contact the Town Clerk’s Office 479-9391 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click here to view a sample ballot.
- More election information can be found on the Clerk's page here.
Notice of Voluntary Water Conservation until further notice: Due to the extended period of very dry weather over the summer, and the near term forecast for limited precipitation, the water level and stored reserve in the City’s Dix Reservoir has dropped significantly. As a precautionary measure, all customers of the Barre City Water System, including those in Barre Town, are urged to reduce water use as much as possible until further notice. Please note that all Barre Town water system and Graniteville Fire District customers use City water to some extent and so are also asked to cooperate.
Do you like to play pickleball? The recreation board is looking for a few volunteers to help set up and take down pickleball equipment. The volunteer(s) are not expected to help every Sunday during the pickleball season, as some recreation board members have volunteered to cover some of the dates. The board is planning to offer pickleball on Sunday afternoons from 1-3 pm at the BTMES gym, January 15- March 5. For more information or to volunteer contact the town manager’s office at 479-9331.
- Tue Nov 1: Public hearing during Selectboard meeting (after 6:30pm)
- Tue Nov 8: vote on merger articles during the General Election
Click here for other announcements